Title: ELC23: GS1: Opening General Session: Projecting the Future of Periodontics
Speakers(s): William V. Giannobile, Effie Ioannidou, Niklaus P. Lang, Panos N. Papapanou, Mariano Sanz, Maurizio Tonetti
Disclosures: Dr. William V. Giannobile, does not have any relevant financial relationships with commercial entities
Dr. Effie Ioannidou, does not have any relevant financial relationships with commercial entities
Dr. Niklaus P. Lang has disclosed he is a consultant for Geistlich Biomaterials
Dr. Panos N. Papapanou does not have any relevant financial relationships with commercial entities
Dr. Mariano Sanz has disclosed he has had a Camlog Implants: Research through University for Camlog Implants, DENTAID, DENTSPLY is a speaker for DENTSPLY, Geistlich Pharma, Research Klockner Implants, Mozo Grau Implants, Nobel Biocare, Straumann, Sunstar: Sweden & Martina Implants, Ti Care Implant
Dr. Maurizio Tonetti has disclosed he is a speaker for GEISTLICH and Straumann
Course Description: The Opening General Session will feature an armchair discussion with a panel of periodontal luminaries and current/former editors of impactful dental journals who will offer their insights on the future of periodontics. The moderator will coordinate a lively discussion by posing provoking questions such as:
• Periodontitis in 2023 and beyond: Are we treating the same disease our predecessors did?
• What are the challenges and opportunities in treating an aging population?
• Are we currently performing more implant surgery than periodontal treatment?
• How do we "put the mouth back into the body?"
· Examine the changing state of periodontitis and its treatment over the years.
· Forecast the future of periodontics and consider whether the specialty is moving towards a personalized medicine approach.
· Evaluate the impact of implant surgery in periodontal practice and what this means for the future of the specialty.
· Learn how periodontists can bridge the gap between basic science and clinical application.
Course length: 1hr 51minutes
Original release date: January 31, 2024
Expiration date: January 31, 2027
The American Academy of Periodontology designates this activity for 2.0 continuing education credits.
The American Academy of Periodontology is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to the Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition at ADA.org/CERP.
The AAP cautions participants for this CE activity about the potential risks of using limited knowledge when incorporating new techniques and procedures in their practice.